Your use of the Website is also subject to the PrivateInvest Website Disclaimer.
Commitment to Protect Your Privacy
PrivateInvest treats the handling of your personal information very seriously. To that end, it has systems and procedures in place to protect your privacy in relation to the handling of your personal information.
PrivateInvest’s objective is to handle information responsibly and provide you with some control over the way information about you is handled and stored.
PrivateInvest recognises that any personal information we collect about you will only be used for the purposes we have collected it or as allowed under the law. It is important to us that you are confident that any information we hold about you will be treated in a way which ensures protection of that information.
PrivateInvest collects personal information from you in a number of different ways. We may collect personal information directly from you or in the course of our dealings with you, for example when you:
- provide personal information to us;
- use our website or services (including via cookies); and
- contact and correspond with us, for example to ask for information.
We may also, if you consent, collect personal information about you from another PrivateInvest entity, from publicly available sources of information, or in some cases, from third parties including recruitment agencies, previous employers, government departments (e.g. Department of Immigration and Border Protection) and third party service providers which provide criminal, bankruptcy and other checks.
The personal information we collect about you may include (but may not be limited to) your name, date and place of birth, contact details, Internet Protocol (IP) address, occupation and education/work history, employer, legal and industry areas of interest, passport details and information relating to your dealings with PrivateInvest and our clients.
We may also collect sensitive information about you, including health information and criminal background checks.
The purposes for which we collect your information may include:
- verifying your identity;
- contacting you (including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail,by phone or in any other lawful manner);
- providing you with industry information;
- developing and improving our services and obtaining feedback.
If we are not able to collect personal information about you, we may not be able to provide you with services and assistance to the extent that they require us to collect, use or disclose personal information.
Use and disclosure
PrivateInvest may use or disclose your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. We will also use and disclose your personal information for a secondary purpose that is related to a purpose for which we collected it, where you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose your personal information for that secondary purpose.
Other instances when we may use and disclose your personal information include:
- where you have expressly or impliedly consented to the use or disclosure;
- in confidence, to our advisers and insurers;
- in confidence, to third parties to improve our services and obtain feedback; and
- where the use or disclosure is authorised or required by or under an Australian law or court/tribunal order.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties, including:
- share your personal information amongst other Private Invest entities;
- share registries
- share your personal information with our advisors and consultants; and
- with third party service providers, we use in conducting our business, subject to confidentiality provisions as we deem appropriate (including, without limitation, insurance brokers, banks, stock brokers, external photocopying providers, document production, legal firms, billing or data storage services, email filtering, virus scanning and other technology services providers, and archival services providers);
- to other organisations that are involved in managing or administering our financial services such as third party suppliers, printing and postal services;
Some of the third parties to whom we disclose your personal information may be located outside Australia.
For example, we may disclose your personal information to external national or overseas facilities while conducting information and data processing, back up and scanning or for the purposes of obtaining other services from third parties. The countries in which these third parties are located will depend on the circumstances.
Information about events, the Website and our services
From time to time we may use your personal information to contact you via email, SMS or other means to provide you with information you may find of interest, events, changes to our organisation, updated information about the Website or services being offered by us.
If you do not wish to receive marketing information, you may at any time decline to receive such information by emailing us at email@example.com. If the direct marketing is by email you may also use the unsubscribe function. We will not charge you for giving effect to your request and will take all reasonable steps to meet your request at the earliest possible opportunity.
Updating Your Personal Information
It is important to us that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. During the course of our relationship with you we may ask you to inform us if any of your personal information has changed. If you wish to make any changes to your personal information, please contact us. We will generally rely on you to ensure the information we hold about you is accurate or complete.
The information we keep about you
You have a right to request access to or correction of your personal information held by us. If you wish to access, correct or update any personal information we may hold about you, please contact us. However, we may charge for providing access to this information and we may refuse access where the Act allows us to do so.
Using Government Identifiers
We do collect government identifiers, such as your tax file number but only when you invest in a managed fund.
Business Without Identifying You
It is necessary for us to identify you in order to undertake business with you. Therefore, we will be unable to do business with you if you wish to remain anonymous.
We will take any privacy complaint seriously. We will aim to resolve any such complaint in a timely and efficient manner, and our target response time is 30 days. We request that you cooperate with us during this process and provide us with relevant information we may require.
We expect our procedures will deal fairly and promptly with your complaint. However, if you remain dissatisfied, you can also make a formal complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (which is the regulator responsible for privacy in Australia).
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
Complaints must be made in writing to:
Director of Compliance
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Telephone: 1300 363 992
Storage and security of your personal information
PrivateInvest will take reasonable steps to keep any personal information we hold about you secure. However, except to the extent liability cannot be excluded due to the operation of statute, PrivateInvest excludes all liability (including in negligence) for the consequences of any unauthorised access to your personal information. Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any breach of security.
We may store your files in hard copy or electronically in our ordinary IT systems. These may include Australian-based cloud servers or the servers of third parties within Australia.
We implement a range of physical and electronic security measures to protect the personal information that we hold, including:
- restricted access to all offices;
- mandatory password protection on all computers (users are required to change their passwords at regular intervals);
- hardware encryption on desktops, laptops and portable storage devices;
- secure hard copy document, electronic storage media and hardware disposal procedures;
- firewall and antivirus/malware software; and
- systems and application access controls implemented to restrict access to information (on a need to know basis).
PrivateInvest also has a regular review program to test the security measures in place and identify where changes may be necessary or desirable.
Please direct any privacy issues or queries to PrivateInvest on + 61 8 9288 4590 or email us.